[ nos-tal-gia ]

Monday, January 16, 2017

Be the captain of your soul.

(Ripped from Tumblr)

And yes, this came super late. But new year resolutions are a yearly affair so hehehes (: However, this post is just plain words because yours truly is too lazy to ransack the hard disk to find any pictures to complement this post. T.T But okay, let's move on.

2016 has been a great year. It has been a journey of self-discovery; it has taught me many new things, and I think that I have outdone my own expectations. I am really proud of myself for coming this far. So here is a summary of my achievements/amazing opportunities in 2016:

1. Attaining my driving license


(Ripped from Pinterest)

One step closer to adulthood, I have finally gotten my driving license. Just two more weeks to removing my P-plate, but hahaha I'm still so lousy at driving omg why. Nearly got into a few accidents or car crashes which my daddy was so frustrated that he actually cursed at me, but I thank my lucky stars that nothing happen to both the car and myself and my passengers T.T

2. Making quality friends and reconnecting with the old


(Ripped from tumblr)

2016 has also gifted me with amazing friends, and I am determined to keep them close to my heart. I have been pretty much friendless in 2015 (with that, I mean most of my 'friends' are just hi-bye acquaintances), which often led me thinking that there is something very wrong with me. So thank you friends for appearing in my life.

2016 has also led me to reconnect with the old friends, although we didn't meet that often in the second half of the year, I'm glad that y'all stood by me, giving me courage. Really thanks to Amanda, Huiqi and Vivian. The three of you have really been my strongest pillar. I finally realised the significance of quality friendships over quantity.

3. Switching Major


(Ripped from amazonaws.com)

This year, I also came to the decision of majoring in Communications and New Media rather than my dream course, Psychology. I realised expectations and reality are really different (what a harsh reality), but I'm glad that I made the jump because I'm much happier now. I found an even stronger passion in my studies, and also hehehes, a new-found love in video editting. (: Yeahs, I'm still working on it.

4. Obtaining satisfactory grades


(Ripped from gocharisse.wordpress.com)

2016 has been good to me because my grades were relatively good (relatively because there were still some annoying grades that pulled my CAP down like shit). My CAP has been improving, albeit slowly, like really crawling up. It was so freaking hard to improve, but I guessed I have to pay for my mistake of not studying hard during my first semester T.T

5. Awesome job opportunities

(Ripped from fox valley mall)

I'm glad for the many job opportunities that I have been blessed with. In 2016, I managed to find a holiday job during the summer break (even though I spent more time searching for a job instead of working, and yes I regretted because I could have better make use of the time to do something more practical like an internship T.T). I'm thankful for my colleagues for treating me so well, they are really very, very nice people. Even though the work is shit, you guys really made everything better.

Then I managed to find another part-time event job as well, which is something out of my comfort zone, because LOL, it is not office work. I have a fetish with working in offices hahaha omg. I guessed I learnt some soft skills here because this job requires me to really communicate and interact with customers. And part of the jobscope includes calling, which I absolutely hate. I prefer to interact face-to-face because it seems less intimidating (okay I'm just weird). But yeahs, it forced me out of my comfort zone (because you cannot possibly reject the tasks your bosses ask you to do rights!)

(Ripped from hometuition.com.sg)

I started giving tuition this year as well. And yes, it made me more confident of myself, like hey, I have the ability to coach people as well. (: It also brought me happiness because my kid never fails to cheer me up with his silly tactics and him getting excited over the slighest thing. I guess we did have some kind of knowledge exchange as well, like how I taught him academics and in return, he taught me how to play games. LOLOL T.T

(Ripped from mantriji.com)

I also did some odd jobs, the most memorable being an invigilator! How cool is that! But I need to sacrifice my time and it was damn shag during that period because I had tons of assignments due. But ohwell, the job is too enticing. (: So I get to manage the class throughout the entire session, like prepare the examination room, read out the announcements before the start of the exam, walk around the room to ensure there was no cheating, and collect the papers. Hehehehes! The best thing? They trusted me enough to put me in-charge of an examination room. :D

6. Experiencing the world through travelling

2016 has also given me many traveling experiences. I realised I have travelled to three different countries, experienced their culture and way of living, and widened my horizons, but it also led me to better appreciate Singapore. No matter where I go, I miss home.

(Ripped from tumblr)

Hong Kong. This was my first time travelling to a foreign country with friends. I'm thankful for my parents who sponsored everything (except my accomodation). I really feel like a mini grown-up then. Thank you Amanda and Weina for being such awesome travelling partners, and for making care of me especially when I fell sick during the trip and even puked. Eeew. I'm ashamed of myself. LOL.

(Ripped from tumblr)

Cambodia. I initially felt dubious of this country, at that point in time I will choose to travel to Vietnam anytime. However, I'm glad to make this choice in the end, because the country is just so beautiful. Angkor Wat is the main tourist attraction (it seems like we are playing real life temple run in the cultural site hahaha). Killing fields is another attraction, and it was really heartwrenching as we walked through the misery suffered by all these innocent victims under the Khmer regime.

(Ripped from anatomyoftheawesome)

South Korea. A country that I have been meaning to visit for the longest time ever, but it was always met with problems whenever I'm due to go. I'm no kidding, in 2015, I had to cancel the trip due to MERS and even though my air tickets were fully refunded, my accomodation was only refunded half of what I paid. T.T Then it came the Park Guen-hye protests, then there was the strikes by the pilots from Korean Airline. I even witnessed the protests during my stay in Korea, it was quite a sight. LOLOL.

7. Failing 

(Ripped from ceylonguidance)

However, I do have my fair share of tears. Getting constantly lousy grades for psych, failing to get jobs/internships, getting rejected for exchange and even failed my appeal, hurled at with vulgarities by the closest people because of tactless (?) driving, constantly getting put down by people, even by people who matter a lot to you. I hope all these failures will make me learn and grow to emerge stronger.

I hope my life will be like a J-curve (hell yeahs Econs, the only thing I remembered from Econs). Having hit rock bottom in 2015, I'm glad that 2016 is much better, and I hope that 2017 will be even better.


(Ripped from quotesgram)

I hope that with the new year, I can be a better self emotionally and rid myself of this inferiority complex; to be able to step out even more from my comfort zone; to spend more time alone without negecting my family and friends.

And one last thing, to sleep by 12am everyday. LOL!


Life has many different chapters for us.
One bad chapter does not mean it's the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment