[ nos-tal-gia ]

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The light bulb symbolises our thoughts and how over-thinking can kill us.

(Ripped from Google images)

I guess that being decisive is one of a key attribute in life.

Like how my superior Rachelle likes to put it, a psychologist should never be fickle-minded. What happens to our patients if we cannot be firm and make correct decisions in the shortest time possible?! And it is true, in a sense. Being decisive is indeed an essential quality not just in psychologists, but in life.

Recently, I was invited to the Durian Fiesta organised by my subsidiary company, and I took a uber long time to decide whether to accept or reject this invitation. I will definitely land myself in an awkward predicament with all the big shots around if I go, yet the durians are beckoning me. (Oops, glutton me). Tough dilemma here. I chose to go in the end, and have never regretted. The fiesta turned out to be alright - my colleagues stayed by me, and I was surrounded with a mountain of durians. :D

So it got me thinking. There's no point in thinking so much about something. Just follow your heart and do it. There's no right or wrong decisions. Most importantly is that we do not regret the decisions we make.

And it is the same with university. Thinking about which modules to select just kills me. It isn't as simple as selecting whatever I like. Other than having to ensure that the workload is spread out, we also have to make sure that the timetable does not clash, the exams do not all fall on the same day, the professors for that particular semester is alright, the university / faculty / major requirements are met amongst others. And what's worst, is having a lousy NUS coordinator who gives two extreme sides of the story when Manda and I emailed her to ask her the same question. I have been on this for quite some time already, and it is getting on my nerves. I hate myself for not being able to confirm the modules that I wanted to take.

Life is all about making choices. And this sucks. But that's what life is all about. Making choices.

Life's actually very simple, but we tend to over-think and complicate matters. But I guess this is innate? I often tell myself that, if the decision I made was considered to be 'incorrect' which resulted in the path in front to be difficult, so be it. One grows up from experiencing obstacles anyway. But I guess this is simply self-deceiving.

Over-thinking can indeed kill us.


Life is beautiful.
When you combine many 
simple things together,
you create something complex.
This is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment