[ nos-tal-gia ]

Sunday, May 21, 2017

We are here to heal, not pretend to be perfect.



(Vlog: Celebrating the 21st)

So I turned 21 last month.

I know it was a great deal, because I am finally a legal adult and am 'big' enough to make my own decisions. However, everything just feels surreal to me... There's no flamboyant parties. Just a simple celebration with my loved ones - my dearest family and friends. You can check out my vlog above if you are interested. I put in effort for it. Hahaha! :D 

Come to think of it, I have toned down quite a lot. Since young, when I was still a primary school kid, I really love birthday parties. I'd hold one every year, and I'd invite everyone that I know to my party, be it close friends or mere acquaintances. I really would like to thank my parents for helping me prepare for the parties, from the preparation of cake and food to the packing of goodie bags as thank you gifts. Now that I think of it, it was really quite dumb of me. Hahaha! I remember being on cloud nine for lugging a whole bag of presents home, and sometimes I even have to rope in the help of my friend if the presents were too heavy for me to handle it alone. Yes, presents meant a great deal to me then.

Then comes secondary school. Birthdays meant spending the entire day with your family and friends. I'd go play activities such as bowling, pool, table tennis or even catch a movie. The day would then end off with a lavish dinner (during those days when I am just a poor secondary kid, and yes, Swensens is my definition of lavish). It was still fun, and I still received many presents despite the significant reduction since primary school days.

And then junior college. I realised we spent most of our birthday celebrations at a KTV, either Teoheng or Kbox. Every time someone's birthday comes, it would be a pretty standard procedure. We'd go singing after school, followed by dinner. I remember that we have a fun element as well: either smashing cake/flour on someone's face or hiding someone's stationery and books everywhere in the classroom. The most memorable event that I remembered, was the day during my birthday, my clique actually spoke to my lecturer (who was also my Maths tutor then), and in turn he kept picking on me during the entire lecture. HAHAHA. "Birthday girl, please answer this question." And me being me, I didn't pay attention to lectures, so you would have guess the outcome. LOL!

University days. Friends come and go, and with my much smaller social circle, I stopped feeling as enthusiastic as before for my birthday. Since the start of university till now, it has always been a simple dinner celebration with family and friends. Everyone, including myself, is just too busy with school/work such that we can only meet for dinners. And yes, my birthday fall on the last week of the semester, which clashes with all the deadlines. This makes it even harder to do anything much. But I am ever so grateful for those who stay by, and help me celebrate. Thank you.

Ahh, those were the days.

I'm not sure if it is because I am turning old, and hence I kept reminiscing about the past. But I guess I like where I am now. Turning old comes with more responsibilities, but it shall be a journey of learning and gaining knowledge.

Happy 21st to me.


Life can be so busy at times,
that we forget about taking care of ourselves.
Today, make sure you take some time just for you.
You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment