[ nos-tal-gia ]

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Be someone's sunshine when their skies are grey.

I have been drafting this post for the longest, but I lack the motivation to continue on. LOL, sorry this came one month late. Procrastination at its best. LOL! 

Musings on the past year.

(Ripped from Tumblr)

Looking back at 2017, I experienced a lot of ups and downs. I guess these experiences, be it good or bad, enable me to learn from mistakes. And I hope that by reflecting on the past year, it will help me organise my thoughts, and plan for 2018.

2017 was a special year to me because it was the year where I finally turned twenty-one. It was the start of adulthood, but I feel that I wasn't ready for it. Turning twenty-one comes with more responsibilities whereby everyone have higher expectations of you. It also means that graduation is nearing, and I'm so not looking forward to being trapped in the work cycle.


1. Learn to be more open-minded. Embrace new opportunities.

If it wasn't because I was unable to secure a slot for overseas semester exchange, I wouldn't have consider going South Korea for summer school.

I wouldn't have meet amazing people like Clement and Lianjie, who really are my good buddies for the trip. I wouldn't have gotten to know nice and friendly people like Regine and Jiashu. I wouldn't have gotten closer to Vivian. I wouldn't have the opportunity to travel with Huiqi and Xiaofang. I wouldn't have open up and make new friends if I didn't attend lessons alone.

I wouldn't have the chance to explore the city I love. I wouldn't have gained more independence. I wouldn't have learnt time management and work-life balance. I wouldn't have understand myself better.

(Travelogue Day #1)

(Travelogue Day #2)

Check out the vlogs that I have done for my Korea exchange if you haven't! I am still in the midst of editing the other videos (but I'm starting to get very busy already, so it might take a few more weeks to upload the next video LOL). T.T Very sorry!


2. Don't dwell on the past, because there's no use crying over spilled milk. As the saying goes, when one door closes, another opens.

I have encountered both pleasant and unpleasant moments during my internships. Let's keep the good, and learn from the bad.

(My bosses and colleagues)

I did my first ever internship with the SPF. Despite being just a short stint, I'm glad to have embarked on this internship because I really think that I learned a lot. These practical hands-on experiences are nothing like the theoretical work I learnt from the textbooks. The most importantly, I have nice bosses and nice colleagues. I'm grateful to have known all my fellow interns. It was a big group - there's like close to ten of us. But I love every single one of them because we are so closely-knitted. (: I'm thankful for them for letting me experience this love.

(We are so stupid)

The other short stint... Let's put it this way, it made me learnt the harsh reality of the world in a painful way.


3. Don't be afraid. Step out of your comfort zone, and start doing things that you love.

I am glad that I have the chance to take up this individual videography project with a professor. It was absolutely voluntary (read: unpaid), but it gives me experience and serves as a learning point for me. It was filming for a Kyogen, which is a traditional Japanese performance. I didn't expect myself to enjoy it, but the entire time I was just trying to control my laughter because I was holding onto the video camera and I didn't want the footage to be shaky LOL. Thank you Ms Tan for giving me this great opportunity!

(The Kyogen performance that I was filming)

(What are the chances that you get to drink with professors? I'm so shooked that night!)

Earlier in the year, I joined the CBAC competition with Yanlin again. It was somewhat our yearly tradition? Hahaha! It was this cool competition where we role played as detectives to try to solve cases (puzzles). I like games like that! Even though we weren't selected to proceed to the next round, I'm still glad to try my hands on this. (: Because of this competition, we became closer so I asked her to take CP2201 module with me last semester. Hahaha!

I love it the fact that she was very spontaneous when I asked her to join me for the hackerschool programme whereby we learn html. I had learnt it earlier for my previous module, but I thought that I needed a refresher course. It was damn fun, and I learnt new 'tricks' as well. Hahaha! (: Hope that there will be more of these courses that we can attend together in 2018.


4. Learning never stops. Knowledge is infinite.

A new skill learnt. I love doing vlogs. So I decided to take a videography module last semester in a bid to improve my video editing skills. I'm glad that I did so, despite everyone saying that it will be a tough module. I guess if you have the passion in doing something, it will prevail over everything else.

You can check out the films that my group did for the module below. Please note that they are supposed to be informative and serious, not meant to be funny!

(Voxpop: Are you proficient in Internet Slangs?)


(News Featurette: Professional Gaming - A viable career option?)


(Documentary: Face of the Day Campaign)

I also gained more real work experiences, because we had to work closely with a client for one of our modules. I really love these kind of modules, because it gives me the experience to equip myself for the working world. I'm ready to take on the world, yeah!


5. Healthy living. Exercise more to keep fit.

For those who have known me long enough, you should know that I am some lazy ass who don't exercise at all. I find joy in sitting down and watching my dramas and being a crouch potato. I really hate being outdoors, or anywhere under the sun.

However, after a few health scares last year, I decided to be more healthy and exercise more frequently. LOL. I am a changed person, really! I treked, I played table tennis, I even gymed. LOL.

(Chestnut Nature Reserve)

(Dairy Farm Nature Reserve)

I explored a few of the newer nature reserves in Singapore. There are still a couple of new places which I haven't been to, so perhaps my new year resolution could be to comb finish all the greens in Singapore? LOL!


I shall stop here because I cannot think of any other things to write. Come to think of it, my 2017 wasn't that eventful also? LOL, I'm just glad to be alive and kicking.


Dear self,
2018 is going to be your year.
So dust yourself off and get started.
Love, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment